Until recently neuropsychological services for patients with brain tumors were rarely offered. However, the value of these services is increasingly being recognized, stemming from improved survival of certain brain-tumor patients, with the resulting need for disability evaluations, rehabilitation, and other type of uses of neuropsychological services.
Neuropsychological examinations (NPE) and services are increasingly recognized as valuable in:
- Assessing cognitive brain systems
- Decision to continue or change antineoplastic treatment
- Evaluating intervention efficacy
- Assessing whether new treatments offer more favorable risk-benefit ratios
- Providing accurate cognitive diagnoses to assist patient management, rehabilitative/palliative interventions, and end-of-life care